Monday 21 November 2016

TMBT 2016 Part Five: The Start

We’re off and there are drones in the sky. RUN OR DIE YOU FOOLS! I imagine they’re being piloted by skilled operators tasked with eliminating (or encouraging!) stragglers and slowpokes. Like, guy in the red shirt with the RACEPANTS aka Me. Pick up the pace or else! (ZAP! —POOF! —DNF.)

That, or they’re snapping photos. Still, I run a little faster because I can – no hold on – I can’t. Woe, Death from above!


Or from within. You see, my RACEPANTS are causing me some discomfort. Soft and stretchy! Lightweight and waterproof! Designed to protect me, the mountain athlete (HEH) in the WILDEST of conditions while allowing UNRESTRICTED motion! They’re also hot as @#$% and clingy like some bad ex who’s back – for the next 15 hours of my life, at least. Thank you INOV8!


It’s a bad mistake and I’m mad at myself. The last time I wore them, it was raining and I was freezing to death in 8-degree weather. But I didn’t die and they were great! Thank you INOV8! So I convinced myself just the night before (despite bringing two other pairs of shorts) that THIS was what I needed for the race in anticipation of the adverse conditions and hazards predicted during the day (lalang, winds, thunderstorms, freezing rain, hail, sleet, snow, meteorites, mysterious falling objects and/or death rays from above.) For the RACEPANTS that clingeth – protecteth!


ZAP! – POOF! – DN – No, damn it. Could I at least get to the first water station?


I vow to tear them off there and then and to tie them around my waist – or something. I am hesitant to do so now in the interests of common decency and at the risk of setting hearts a-flutter. HA.


Gravel roads. Dirt roads. Tarmac. Mountain in view! I don’t remember the stretch of tarmac being as long or as new. Maybe the roads were resurfaced.


What else is new? Unlike the year before, I’m starting off at a very comfortable pace and my heart rate is exactly where I want it to be. I’m running on the flats and downhills; walking the uphills and eating and drinking at regular intervals. Travel-induced fatigue aside, the heat was a major stumbling block for me in 2015. I underestimated its effects and did not fuel as often as I should've. So caught up was I in the excitement of the race – I shot off, in what was a decent and sustainable pace (I was fitter then) but which ultimately proved unsustainable in the long run (HEH).


This weighs constantly on my mind and I am determined not to repeat my mistakes. I feel that if I can keep this up, I’ve a good chance of making it to Water Station 3 (KM 30) and perhaps, even finishing the darned Thing. But it’s early days yet.


I turn a corner and marvel again at the sight of the Mountain.


“This is the Kota Belud view!”


So says Foo Chee (or Foo Jee?). A local from KK, it's her first TMBT. She’s friendly and we chat awhile.


After more undulating and mostly runnable road, the ascent to Kebayau marks the first challenge of the day. I’m feeling good and it is here that I begin overtaking others, slowly but surely. I bump into Mezan again, who’s in good spirits! She tells me that Kheng Loh is about 500m ahead.


I will not catch her as the next segment takes us into the jungle. It’s mostly single track trail and, notwithstanding those who step aside, you can only move as fast as the group who are ahead of you. I come across the lalang that is said to leave tiny, razor-like cuts on one’s knees, legs and thighs.


O RACEPANTS PROTECT ME!


Alas, the lalang has been trampled underfoot no less than a thousand times and before me lies a clear and safe path! While I believe that “long pants” is generally good advice and should make the “recommended” kit list, I do not think it essential for a 50K mid-packer like myself. Nothing in 2015, or in the race thus far has convinced me otherwise.


The trail eventually widens and not long after, I reach Water Station 1.


Restock. Refuel. Text Angela. All systems go!


Part Six: The Middle

No comments:

Post a Comment