Monday 21 November 2016

TMBT 2016 Part Eight: Post-Race

I speak to a lady who’s just finished her 50. She asks me which way I came from but I don’t really understand her question. The only way is up? I’ve spent the last 4 hours crawling through muddy hell and beyond. She doesn’t seem to understand me either and I leave the conversation feeling a tad irritated.

As I enter the Hall, I spot Kheng Loh, Sow Mun, Malissa and Sen Leong!


I’m surprised to see Kheng Loh. I knew she’d make it but I thought we parted ways just after Tambatuan! I feel a little crushed – was I moving that slowly over the final 6 KM?


She tells me though that some runners, like herself, were diverted onto the highway after the penultimate hill. Landslides and extensive damage to the course had rendered it unsafe. I’m reminded of the lady’s question (which way?) and things are starting to make sense. But it’s a bit too much for me to process – my head feels heavy so I sit down, looking more annoyed than I should be!


Malissa offers me a choice of coffee or tea. I sip on the black coffee and start vomiting.


For the longest time, my eyes are fixated on what appears to be a clump of mud or undigested Chomp near my foot.


I’m hoping it’s just mud from my foot (and not from my stomach!).


My friends get me cleaned up and I feel terrible. The race was bad but this is worse. My things are all over the place but they’re helping me pack up. I keep asking for my medal and Finisher’s T. Do we have it? Is it there? That’s all that matters, right?


I don’t remember much of the bus ride back. Just flashing lights and Sow Mun’s calm and reassuring voice. We get off at Downtown – but Downtown is a haze of colour and I can’t find my bearings (or my hotel). Sow Mun asks for directions and eventually, we get there.


I feel bad for putting my friends through all that. And also very grateful – without their help, I’m not sure how or when I would have made it back.


Angela spends the next 2 hours fixing me. There is some hysterical sobbing, more vomiting and weak attempts to scrub the mud off.


Also food, water and finally? Rest …


***


***


It’s a brand new day and I am a TMBT FINISHER! My time is 14:39 and my overall position, 220 of 440 participants (Male & Female; 50K). It’s nothing to shout about but given the unexpected and exceptionally challenging conditions most participants had to endure to complete the race … I’ll take it.


In text messages exchanged over the day, I thank Sow Mun and Malissa again for their kindness; commiserate with Kheng Loh over what we had to go through and congratulate Lauren for her very strong finish.


In the evening, we have seafood at the Waterfront and spot Jan Nielsen, first runner up in the 100K category. Also, 4 guys walking abreast in their 50K Finisher Ts. One comes up to our table and what do you know – it’s the same guy who gave me a hand during the race!


“Hey man, are you ok? I saw you on the bus last night.”


“Yeah, I’m better now!”


What a happy coincidence. We shake hands and I thank him again.


Dinner is good. KK is nice and Angela and my mum are having a great time. Ava is soaking it all up with little complaint and every day is a new experience for her. I’d love to explore more of KK as she grows older and I’m already thinking of next year’s race …


Will I do it again? Possibly! With consistent training, I know a sub-12 isn’t beyond me. I feel that if I can get to Kiau Nulu in 8-9 hours, I’ll be okay. But if I can’t, I will DNF voluntarily as I would never – ever – want to go through THAT final segment again. Not at night and certainly not after a heavy downpour.


“Sayang, wanna sign up for the 50K next year?”


“Remember what happened the last time we started training for a race together?”


“Uh, Ava?”


BAHAHAHAHA.


(THE END)

No comments:

Post a Comment