Tuesday 24 January 2017

Conquer the Trails @ Kiara 2017 Race Report

Me: You feed Ava tonight!
Angela: No you!

I've managed to convince the Mrs that unless I get some uninterrupted sleep over the weekend, my race will be over even before it begins.

Me: And just so you know, I've signed up for several races in February too.
Angela: NO YOU'VE NOT.

(Yeah, but I thought it was worth a shot.)

***

We're 10 minutes away from the start. The organiser's choice of music (Static Dubstep Remix ft. Race Director Kelvin Wong) is interesting if a little odd. But it's cool and after a few false starts, Kelvin gets his act together and his message across. Suggestion: Bring a hailer for backup!

The countdown begins and we're off. I'm with a group who are moving at about 5ish pace. After the initial road segment, we hit the trails and remain within sight of each other on the Magic Carpet ride and loop through 4K. I've always liked 4K -- short ascents, short descents, nice greenery and completely runnable.

Entering 2K, I bump into Natasya, a friend who's volunteering at the race. The group I was originally with has now separated; some are behind me and some, ahead. Kawan-Kawan provides some downhill relief after the run up through 2K. Then it's a quick hike upstream and some road before we reconnect to what I believe are JLN-made trails. Steps have been carved into the slope and a descent to Sungai follows. Sungai is one of the lushest and prettiest trails in all of Kiara and it's nice to see it featured on the race course.




Exiting onto the road via Sungai--Lower Short, we arrive at Water Station 1. I do not stop, as I have my hydration vest on. After this, it's downhill along gravel paths and trails until we reach another stream. There's fencing along the side and rusty bolts that stick out -- so if you're not careful (and I never am), you might just end up grazing your arm (as I did on Friday, whilst showing Angela part of the course and AGAIN, today). The Race Guide mentions this but what can I say? Ouch.

[Flash back to Friday]

Me: I will cleanse my wounds in these waters!
Angela: Just use the water from your pack and get on with it.
Me: You're no fun.

[Flash forward]

From here on is a series of 3 climbs that extend all the way to Twin Peaks. Pain and suffering abound.

Me: If <pant> you'd like to pass, just let me know, ya?
Runner behind: I'd like to <pant> but I can't!




Sow Mun, another friend and volunteer, is stationed at Dirty Deeds (Climb #3) and it's nice to see a familiar face. She and all the volunteers I've encountered have been great. After reaching Twin Peaks, the mostly downhill Pure Quill is a welcome respite -- we double back onto Quill Killer for a bit before taking a right onto what is a slippery and muddy downhill segment. There's a busted pipe and water spilling all over the trail. I get my X-Talons muddy for the first time (how awful!) and wonder if things can get any worse (they can). It's like a frickin' trail race or something ;-)

What's next? Another climb, unsurprisingly, up and over the Penchala Link tunnel and then a U-turn via Boner into Janie's Addiction. It gets easier from here and I'm trying to pick up the pace on the flats and downhills. Unfortunately, after running through a series of switchbacks and down into Rock Garden, I miss the sign that marks the final climb of the day. 

Perhaps I had my head down, or perhaps I just lost focus -- I don't know. But I'm going up the wrong way and realise after a while that my present course will only lead back to those switchbacks -- arghh! I retrace my steps and eventually meet a group of runners whom I last saw on Janie's Addiction. 

They have just begun their ascent. It's torture and we struggle up to Twin Peaks together. I see Natasya again, who gives me a huge cheer. It's just downhill from here, she says, and I know it -- I leave the group behind and pass two other runners en route to the Finish. My time is 2:06; I'm 26th in my category, the 40th guy in and 47th Overall.

I'm happy with my performance. I'm still base-building and probably shouldn't be racing but it's hard to pass up an event in Kiara (where I do all my trail running). Will I be back next year? Definitely! I liked the route and look forward to seeing what Kelvin and crew come up with in future. I thought the event was well-managed and I had no issues whatsoever -- from REPC to Race Day. Kudos to the organisers and their excellent volunteers!

Ava and Angela join me a little later. We hang around, chat with friends and leave shortly after the prize-giving ceremony. All in all, a great morning out.

No comments:

Post a Comment