Monday 21 November 2016

TMBT 2016 Part Four: The Day Before The Race

We have dim sum in the morning at Fook Yuen, across the road from our hotel. Then we have laksa in the afternoon at Yee Fung, a couple of blocks down the street. Then we order takeaway pizza from Little Italy for dinner. I hope to save some for breakfast tomorrow.

In between stuffing my face, I pack my bag, unpack my bag and repack my bag to ensure that I’ll have everything I need when I need it. Also, I like packing my bag.


I’m in bed by 6PM and spend the next 7 hours tossing and turning. I’m careful not to squish the small body lying next to mine, who’s tossing and turning too, but who is otherwise dead to the world. I find some peace in watching her sleep.


“Why aren’t YOU asleep, Papa?”


“Big race tomorrow.”


“Are you afraid?”


“A little, I guess.”


“Are you excited?”


“Yeah.”


“Have you packed your bags?”


“Probably not?”


“Better get started.”


***


I fall asleep around 1AM. I’d set my Ava for 2AM and right on cue, I am awakened.


“UH NGAEH UH NGAEH FEED ME!”


“UH NGAEH UH NGAEH HOLD ME!”


“UH NGAEH PAPA ARE YOU AWAKE YET?!”


“Yes.”


“UH NGAEH OK JUST CHECKING.”


“UH NGAEEEEEEHHHHHHHHH.”


I hand her to Angela and begin prepping. A quick shower follows and by 240AM, I am ready to go.


I kiss my mum, Angela and Ava goodbye. My pick-up is at the Hyatt Regency, an 8-minute walk away. Five minutes into the walk, I realise I’ve forgotten my drop bag. I call Angela and make my way back. My mum is at the lobby waiting for me. I thank her and I’m off – again!


I arrive at the pick-up point around 3AM. Several participants are already here. It has started to rain and I find shelter under the walkway next to Burger King. I do not have to wait long as our bus is soon ready for boarding. It fills up in no time and a little after 330AM, we depart – right on schedule!


I close my eyes but whenever I open them, I find everyone else asleep, pretending to be asleep or at least, trying to. I too, pretend to sleep although my thoughts invariably drift to the challenges ahead – like, how do I eat all this pizza I’ve packed?


By 445AM however, there is no pizza left. I guess I was really hungry.


We arrive at around 515AM. I step off the bus, leave my drop bag in the designated van and make my way across a bridge. Lots of participants are already here and are gathered inside a hall. I join them and get my wristband scanned. I am now officially registered for the race.


I spend the next 45 minutes milling around. Daylight breaks but we are due for a late start. Apparently, a bus has broken down. I bump into Mezan, a friend, and we chat awhile. I lose her in the crowd which has now swelled to hundreds of participants from both the 50k and 100k categories.


We receive a preliminary briefing on our route and some safety reminders.


At around 620AM, the countdown begins.


“FIVE – FOUR – THREE – TWO – ONE!”


Part Five: The Start

No comments:

Post a Comment